View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The point in that the price is/has been coming down and eventually we'll all prob. drive hybrids or totally electric cars (or some other technology). So it will benefit all of us and hopefully will be a small part in breaking the back of OPEC.
I don't know that the price has been coming down steadily as more hybrids are sold. It was north of $4 very recently, then dropped like a rock.

Not sure what to make of your NYT article, as they are about as reliable and objective as Sean Hannity, probbaly less so IMHO. Gives all the credit for droppping oil prices to the US Government. This, from a paper that wants a huge US government.

Paul, I can probably find articles suggesting that - to the extent that the price droip is driven by frakking - that the drop happened in spite of Obama, not because of Obama. The democrats are adamantly opposed to exploiting oil and gas that's on federal land, and that policy has given enormous power, and unimaginable wealth, to places that aren't as hesitant to exploit their natural resources. Some of those places are not very nice places.

We cannot know what the environmental impact would have been to drilling that did not take place. We absolutely know what some of the impacts have been as a result of our resistance. Not many of the impacts are desirable.

I'm no expert on such things...but it seems to me that the liberals have turned their backs on the potentiul benefits of tapping into our own natural resources. This gives power and $$ to places that have no such reservations, and some of those places have become problematic for us. We apparently did this based on the false assumption that widely available alternative energies were around the corner, and tree-huggers have been saying that for 40 years. All in the name of global warming, which may or may not exist. Can't make it up...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-21-2015 at 10:32 AM..