Thread: This Old House
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

With the addition of Ask this Old House, I think they improved their format. The best shows were the earliy years of Steve Thomas as host. Then they became bombarded by manufacturers offering up sweet deals on the latest, greatest high end innovations. Morash just followed the money. When does that happen in public television? Their payroll has ballooned too. A lot more people on the production side. (Just watch the credits now compared to earlier years) And the magazine hasn't hurt their bottomline, either.
Tom, Roger, and Rich are all real good guys, but they are on TV, and get bombarded with goodies to use and install from the manufacturers too. And you have to keep those magazine advertisers happy...Steve has gone off to do a series of shows for Discovery Channel and History Channel. (Two sides to the story on his departure...) Like I said, real good guys, but different now after years of exposure. Hard not to be, I guess.... Roger is a striper freak too.
Bottom line, yeah, their projects are not priced in the reality of 98% of their audience. Given the economy, and the plethora of really crappy home improvement in a day TV shows, they would do themselves a service to refocus on the middle upper end that launched their careers.

Never cared for Vila... but not something for a public forum

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote