View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #118
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I think you are all set Jim, here you go. From an op-ed by Bret Stephens and it does go on and on making many of your points quite well.
"In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation. The United States has too many people who don’t work hard, don’t believe in God, don’t contribute much to society and don’t appreciate the greatness of the American system.

They need to return whence they came.

I speak of Americans whose families have been in this country for a few generations. Complacent, entitled and often shockingly ignorant on basic points of American law and history, they are the stagnant pool in which our national prospects risk drowning.

On point after point, America’s nonimmigrants are failing our country. Crime? A study by the Cato Institute notes that nonimmigrants are incarcerated at nearly twice the rate of illegal immigrants, and at more than three times the rate of legal ones.

Educational achievement? Just 17 percent of the finalists in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search — often called the “Junior Nobel Prize” — were the children of United States-born parents. At the Rochester Institute of Technology, just 9.5 percent of graduate students in electrical engineering were nonimmigrants.
I am not sure if Stephens realizes that the "nonimmigrants" to whom he refers, being citizens, have no place to where they can be deported, that they came from here in the U.S., not some other place. I suppose it would be nice if they could be sent somewhere else, if anyone would take them. But there is no legal way to do that, nor should there be.

The nonimmigrant criminals are, I assume, are being dealt with, like, as he says, being prosecuted and imprisoned. Maybe that is not harsh enough for Stephens. Oh well . . . maybe Stephens might want them to have harsher punishments even than that given to illegal immigrants. Maybe torture or cruel and unusual punishment?

The lazy, complacent, ignorant ones, which it seems cannot be avoided no matter what system of government you create, are obviously much more dangerous to our national prospects, whatever his idea of a national prospect is, than illegal immigration. Obviously, since, like all societies, we will have retrograde nonimmigrants, then that surely is a valid reason to also have illegal immigration.

Sorry, but I just don't see why, because we have problematic citizens, we should also have illegal occupants. Maybe, rather than posting a kooky, sarcastic, opinion piece, you could, in your own words, explain why we should welcome illegal immigrants because we have citizens that some might call "deplorables."