View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Update on prep.
My recessed lights are IC (insulation contact) rated and Air-Loc by Juno. So I do not need to box them as the manufacturer states that I can blow insulation on them. As for being Air-Loc.... we do have some drafts blowing through them. I pulled out the bulb and cut small strips of the metallic duct tape and cover the small openings inside the cans. It worked, as we did not have any drafts during the blow over Saturday/Sunday. Now to figure out when I can spring the dough for 20 bags of the Atticat at 35/bag....

Other notes; If you do not have IC rated cans, there is a whole can of worms regarding heat if you box them to stop the draft. You will want to install CFL or LED bulbs as they are much cooler. If mine were not IC rated, I would probably have opted to change them out for IC rated, as the heat/fire issues would have me losing sleep.

Check with your electric company to see if they sponsor any rebates for insulation. Our local electric company will pay 50%, up to $1600. They need an estimate and have to inspect before and after. They will not pay for labor if you do it yourself. ie They only include labor if a contractor does it. (which kind of leaves me in the middle, being a contractor....)
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote