View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Planning is not the same as implementing it.
The OP seemed to assert that this was a liberal PETA inspired bill. Was it actually the idea of the Bush Administration?

Quote:
The stocks are on the road to recovery as it is.
Are they?

Quote:
I would be willing to bet Bush would not implement this without considering the economy and the families it will effect.
"What if it actually helps manage the fishery?" It won't help the fishery. It may help some fish though. No problem to roll the dice when your family has a check coming in.
Any other industries you don't care if they regulate into oblivion?
You seem to be advocating for the fisherman and ignoring the fish. I certainly appreciate the fact that this action might damage an historic industry, but it also might be the right thing to do. I haven't studied the issue to see what's really at stake, but this doesn't look like pure politics...a sustainable ground fishing industry has been a problem for some time.

The problem with the regulation argument is that if left unchecked most industries would burn themselves out. Hence why balance is nearly always the best approach.

So are there any rational arguments as to why these measures won't lead to a more sustainable long-term ground fishery?

-spence