View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
Islander77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The OP seemed to assert that this was a liberal PETA inspired bill. Was it actually the idea of the Bush Administration?

Are they?

You seem to be advocating for the fisherman and ignoring the fish. I certainly appreciate the fact that this action might damage an historic industry, but it also might be the right thing to do. I haven't studied the issue to see what's really at stake, but this doesn't look like pure politics...a sustainable ground fishing industry has been a problem for some time.

The problem with the regulation argument is that if left unchecked most industries would burn themselves out. Hence why balance is nearly always the best approach.

So are there any rational arguments as to why these measures won't lead to a more sustainable long-term ground fishery?

-spence
Absolutely am advocating for fishermen.. The stocks are and have rebounded... The fact they want to cull 50-75 % of the fleet affects WAY more than you think. Sad fact the fishing idustry funds lots of economy for businesses no one even puts it with. As far as us fishing till nothing is left umm I am gonna assume you understand this funny thing called DEBT... If we caught all the fish no more income. More susatainable long-term ground fishery??? Fluke is at a RECORD HIGH bio mass... The bigger problem is the government sold us one thing and then delivered another, Sector quota is not what they said to the fact of reducing the quota even lower. Now I am and will be for CONSERVATION, not DEVASTATION.. I am a commercial fisherman yes yes I am. The PETA refference was because o fthe fact the new head of NOAA Jane Lubchenco former position was head of an enviromentalists group??? A lil conflict of intrest there wouldnt ya say?

Jane Lubchenco Headed PEW Ocean Comission.. they came out and said groundfish were being over fished.. I know its hard for people to understand all this at times but if your being told to do something how is it your fault?? The harder thing to understand is why the NMFS is the only regulatory office in the US gov that does not have a balance system, what they say goes end of story. There is a whole lot you dont realize or know I am sure and I could write a ten page rant on it... But if 80% of THE SEAFOOD IN THE US is imported, wouldnt thattell ya something? We have the resources but the farmer and fisherman are being forced out by our gov, And if the country keeps going the way it is yall are gonna need both for staple proteins...