View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

I wouldnt run 50 but rather 80. It gives that extra abrasion/shock resistance and if you get into a pig the line can withstand the high drag setting needed to land 300+ fish. 50 lb line is really a 'tweener size that has no real application in the way most fish for tuna. Plus with 50 wides and up the reels will accept more than enough line to withstand 99% of the runs you will experience. Momoi smoke blue 80 lb breaks at 126lbs and is supple yet abrasion resistant.

When I do my reels I have someone palm it firmly while it is heldon a dowel between legs and put on tight as possible. My first trip I attach a 5 gallon bucket let it out and reel it in from the rod holder to make sure it packs on wet and tight. Pack it on to 1/8" on the reel and when it is reeled in under load you should have1/4" of spool showing. Remember doing this leaves little room for error when reeling in a fish if the angler isnt putting it back on the spool evenly the reel wil seize and you will have huge problems. For the record the 80s and 130 have spectron with a chinese finger to the top shot that are wet packed from the beginning.

Last edited by keeperreaper; 02-17-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote