Thread: Fluke fishing
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My last couple kayak trips have been up inside BB and just outside the main channel which where I fish is about 35 feet at a full tide and I'm catching in about 15 feet. I'm a light tackle guy and fish my own hand poured 4" split tails (like pearl or white for fluke) on a 3/8 to 1/2oz kalin ulimate jig head, with an occassional squirt of gulp crawfish scent. The spot I fish is a bitch to pull my kayak out at low tide, so I've been trying to get fishing the incoming for the last three hours of the tide.

One spot for me has been very good with some boulders and the fluke stage downcurrent. I like a long cast upcurrent, I give it a ten count to get the light jig to the bottom and then a slow lift drop back to the kayak and I've rarely needed more than a couple hours to limit out on some nice size fluke. These aren't 8-10lb doormatts, but are nice 20+ inch fish and good eating; too bad they really are that much of a fight.

I'm having better luck inside on spots boats rarely fish, than back in my boating days in Vineyard Sound, but the fish there in deeper water were sometimes large. Back then I'd drag a fluke rig with spinner and adjust the weight based on current and typically I'd try for a few bluefish on the way out to get some belly strips as they last forever on the hook. Fresh squid of course is a preferred bait by many, but it just won'd last like a strip of bluefish belly.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote