View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #98
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Scott,

Anyway, you focused on one minute point rather than discuss the value (if you can call it that) that unions bring to a region. Don't get me wrong. I am not defending them. Merely pointing out how the economy changes as a result of their actions, often to the good of the citizens who are not represented (also often to the detriment especially when the jobs go offshore as in textiles).
seems to me that the highly unionized regions are all buckling from their inability to pay current union wages and benefits and in addition have no way to pay the unfunded obligations that have been promised, that includes some private sector unions as well, you can say that it was politicians that allowed this in the public sector but they were working in conjunction with union bosses, a cozy symbiotic relationship that resulted in reelection and protected status....whatever positive that you'd like to attribut to unions in the form of baseline wages?...the net is a huge loss that we will be feeling for some time...these same unions have actively advocated as a block and provided enormous amounts of funding for politicians who have expanded many of the other massive entitlements that threaten our future..."often to the good of the citizens who are not represented" those not represented will be paying the maxed out union credit card and all that it has purchased for a very long time...