View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Competition is a good thing,but it doesn't have to be spurred on by a school event.It is the responsibility of the parent to know their child and guide accordingly.I never understood the need to overdo it though. Most hockey kids are the worst as Typhoon pointed out due to odd ice hours. I think it is important for children to stay busy and to sometimes overload them with responsibilities. How they handle these burdens can shape their lives.They learn to prioritize and occasionally push themselves.Don't kid yourselves though, our children learn their life lessons at home;sports and all the other activities just provide an outlet,or a conduit to express themselves with their peers.
jeezus, I agree with you.
ROckfish - those life skills you noted should be taught by the parents, not school. Its my job to teach them to cook, manage money, etc. I also think its my job to reinforce reading, math etc.
as for the original post, i have no idea what problem this would solve. Im not a sports guy but encourage my kids to play. its good for them, I want them to get knocked down and defeated. Its not handling success that builds charcter, its handling failure. I think competitive sports build that.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all