View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #71
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who calls them undocumented citizens?
"Huh? "Undocumented citizens"? The linguistic purist in me balked. Unlike "undocumented immigrants," the genteel euphemism for "illegal aliens," the phrase "undocumented citizens" was a contradiction in terms.

But as a Freudian slip it made sense. The speaker, despite her professions of homage to the rule of law, deep down probably thought that the distinction between an illegal immigrant and a citizen was a technicality. It was the same sentiment behind T-shirts at last year's immigration rally in Los Angeles that said: "I'm illegal. So what?"

"Undocumented citizen" has been popping up in other places. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, whose portfolio includes immigration, was asked at a conference in February about congressional restrictions that made it hard for social-service agencies to serve "undocumented citizens."

Chertoff didn't call the questioner on his inaccuracy, but the phrase has offended the ears of some conservatives. TV talk show host Glenn Beck had some fun recently with a Florida legislator who wants to abolish the term "illegal alien," which she says "makes people think of beings from outer space." (Really?) Her preferred term: That's right, "undocumented citizens."

This war of words over what to call 12 million non-citizens is more than another example of loose-talking liberals providing ammunition to conservative critics of "political correctness." Semantics aside, liberals on immigration reform—a group in which I count myself —too often give short shrift to the problem posed for many Americans by the fact that illegal aliens broke the law."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-oe...y03-story.html

"GOP Congressman Calls Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Citizens", Trusts Obama Administration

By Jon Feere, August 8, 2013

While holding a town hall meeting, Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Ill.) was caught on video supporting amnesty for millions of illegal aliens, people he calls "undocumented citizens". In response to a question from a woman with illegal alien family members who have been in the country for over 13 years, he illustrated a lack of understanding of immigration policy and unjustifiable faith in the Obama administration to secure the border. Seven problems with his response are analyzed below. Here's his quote:

Undocumented citizens should have to come forward, they should have to self-identify, they should pay a penalty and back taxes, and the............."

Ben Rodgers @BenRodgers1
Two undocumented citizens were arrested at the #IAFreedomSummit while protesting http://goo.gl/wEQEjr via @DMRegister
11:11 PM - 24 Jan 2015
Des Moines Register

Last edited by scottw; 08-01-2015 at 05:00 AM..