View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, the charter for the organization is to help low income people.

How does paying someone to register to vote help low income people other than getting them to vote for the perpetuation of government handouts?

How about difficulty sourcing volunteers.

The ultimate reason to register for voting is to vote. You pay someone to register voters for the same reason you ask a volunteer to do it.

I don't think the charter is towards low income because they are more likely to vote democratic, it's just a natural product of the system.

You don't THINK(?) it is? How is it that low income and voting democratic is a natural product? Is there some inevitabale, natural link between the two? Are there low income areas that vote Republican? Has Acorn helped those areas?

There are no votes "bought and paid for."

If you can only get votes by paying someone to bounty hunt for registrations, you have, in effect, paid for those votes.

Additionally, I'd note that voter registration is but one thing that Acorn has done for the inner city, and I don't believe any federal money has gone towards voter registration activities. I do think they need to provide more transparency of their books though...
-spence
You don't BELIEVE(?) any federal money has gone into registration "activities?" What other money do they have? And what BELIEFS(?) can be founded on books that need more transparency?

What else has ACORN done? Is it another one of those groups that are supposed to "empower?" Like those housing scams in Chicago? I live in a Democrat city that has empowered itself into the dust. One teeny ray of hope is that (maybe out of some desparate moment of empowered hoplessness) it has elected a businesss man, of sorts, as mayor. Whether he can successfully fight the empowerment crowd remains to be determined. Another small ray is the influx of latinos (legal or otherwise) who are, without waiting for empowerment, actually working, revitalizing their neighborhood while the rest of the city continues to decay into the dust of empowerment. They create small businesses, do manual labor at prices people can afford to pay, work hard, fix and improve and spruce up their houses, have lots of children, are productive in the worst economy in the country while their empowered natural born fellow "citizens" can't find jobs, let their neighborhoods deteriorate and infest with crime and wait for the next empowerment group or next check to arrive.