View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Dubya, I believe that essentially you're trying to be fair and balanced. But fair and balanced can only work within a system that is not corrupted. I suspect that you've been, to a large degree, in the jobs you've held, in a position in which you must trust that all has been done ethically within the law. Soldiers, law enforcement, corrections officers must surely have to believe that those they fight, prosecute, kill, or incarcerate are done so by just cause and honest process. Otherwise, fidelity to what they must do becomes a corruption of their own character, or a situation they must either leave or go mad. Or turn against.

So I can see how you completely believe that decisions by jury must unequivocally be accepted without complaint or disagreement. But if the process that leads to conviction has been dishonest, it must not be accepted. I can see how a soldier must believe for sanity's sake that commands to fight and kill are just.

But others, not on the field of battle, must be allowed the freedom to think otherwise. That is a basic protection against the ancient tyranny of those in power who are not just, not honest, not true to their oath . . . not true to upholding that which binds their society in an honest, trusted, harmony.

We are the ultimate watchdogs of those who we choose to govern the legal affairs of our nation. It is healthy for some of us to comment on, expose, oppose, when some in power choose to bend or break the law or the process by which they are supposed to be bound.

Obviously, since we mostly have to see through the glass darkly, we will differ. Unfortunately, that too often is on biased partisan grounds. But, at least, it creates the necessary discussions and protests that help to restrain those who, regardless of the integrity of their motive, corrupt our system.

That's why, for instance, I try to engage you in discussions of a "message", not the killing of the messenger.

Many think that Trump is the essence of the corruption that I mentioned. Many think he is a flawed push back against it. Many think it's all just politics, to be expected. But most of us do have opinions. And we're fortunate to be able to have the freedom and the forums to express them. And if we do have honest and thorough debate, we may be able to maintain that road to the desired more perfect Union. But we waste that opportunity when we dismiss rather than discuss.
All Trump needed to do was wait till sentencing was over and Pardon his Pal He didn't .. He interfered ...

But if the process that leads to conviction has been dishonest,

there are steps to address those possibilities... Just imagining that the process was dishonest with zero supporting evidence is called A conspiracy Theory... and the right lives in them daily AS does Trump