View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Rockfish9

Power tech propellers - A review

after doing a health check on my boat/ engine, I came to the conclusion that over the last few years she has gained too much weight ( added 2 group 27 trolling motor batteries. an on board charger, 30 gallon fuel cell, lobster gear, electronics etc.).. My former prop was a Quicksilver ( mercury) 13X18, it no longer allows my boat to reach the upper end of the desired operating range ( 4750 -5250) and was struggling to get on plane quickly..
I chose power tech for several reasons, #1 made in USA..they offer a variety of props, in many styles to fit any engine boat combination, after doing some math, and even consulting a tech from Power Tech, I narrowed down 2 propellers, a RBX 4 ( 4 blade) 13.25 X16 and a SWW 13.50 X16..
My needs were something that would give me a good hole shot, while not over exaggerating bow lift ( my boat tends to porpoise when trimmed too high).. I run a hydraulic jack plate so I needed a prop that can run an extended engine height when needed.. and of coarse I wanted the best bang for the buck fuel mileage, I purchased the RBX 4, thinking that, that would provided all I required and maybe plane at a lower speed, I found the prop to be all that advertised , good stern lift, low speed planning ( on plane@2500) plenty of good hole shot, great control backing down... what I didn't like, was it was noisy, it made a high pitched whine at 4000- 5000 RPMs.. it also was a hog on fuel, 10.2GPH@ 4000 RPMs..( as opposed to 8.6 GPH with the old 13X18)
I returned it ( Power tech has a one time free trial return policy) and got the SWW 3.. this 13.50 X16 gave me a little more blade diameter,it has a hard wall cup( the most cup I have ever seen on a prop in 50 years messing with boats), the low rake , tear drop blade style made for an easy turning propeller...
This prop performs like no other prop I have ever used. the boat comes out of the water like a rocket, you can feel every nudge of the throttle, it does provide a little more bow lift than I need but I have trim tabs nad motor wedges, I ran the engine up 3" above the bottom of the boat and it still held a grip.. the boat stays on plane as low as 2800 RPMs, hits the max 5250 @ 37mph, and WOT 11.6 gph fuel burn, but at 4000 RPMs, ( my sweet spot) she burns 7.8 gph.. for $380 it is like getting a brand new boat..

So anyone considering a new propeller, especially if your need are for something a little different than stock, or you have an odd propeller question or problem, talk to the people at power tech, they have great customer service based in Louisiana..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote