View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Yesterday I was out test casting a GSB1081L built for a VS150/30# braid using KLH guides (20H-10H-8m-8KT runners) and a rapid choke concept. The collector is 30" out from the stem, the choke 0.45 x remaining distance to the tip.

The VS was so stiff I could barely turn the reel handle in the cold. The rod cast well and the guides weigh nothing. I did not try to tweek things (didn't appear to need it) nor did I test it directly against other layouts but my sense was the rod performed well and the line flow was near silent so I'll likely just go with it.

These KLH guides are game changers I suspect. Hard to know how such high single foots will hold up in the field (I'll bet they are fine), but they allow you to build such a light and responsive rod for such low cost (relative the the titanium low riders you needed in the past) that you should certainly consider trying them before building a rod with standard KW guides at this point. The performance upgrade with the KLH's and earlier chokepoint is just too impressive to discount.

I've no need for another 11 ft rod, but the lightness of the rod I cast yesterday has me jonesing to try them on something full sized.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote