View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
George I was considering the KLH for myself. ………. I haven't tried the closer choke point but would love to understand the performance enhancements. This would be a better guide placement for concept layouts for short rods, 7-9'. Once you locate a choke point per X27 formula or Anglers Resource reccommendations, you have minimal distance for runners. What's your thoughts?
The reel angle, choke point bit never made much sense to me since the line goes through the collector from all sorts of crazy angles. I quit on NGC formulas 4-5 years ago and my rods cast just as well as when setup by formula. They are now building reels (like the saragossa) with zero angle stems so obviously a choke point calculation is useless for them.

I think the critical issue is the position, height, and ring size of the collector guide. Once you have this, the angle from the reel spindle through the collector sets your choke point. Angler's Resource suggests measuring the distance from the collector to the tip and multiplying by 0.45 then trying your choke there. It seems to come out pretty close to the way I set up rods using LC collector and transition guides previously.

Once you hit that collector the line ought to be tamed pretty quickly and channeled down to the blank and on out. There is always an angle at the choke where the line finishes its transition into the blank and starts out the runners. The further out the choke the less the angle, but practically speaking with braid this angle doesn't cost you any noticeable distance so it makes sense to pull your choke in some and lighten your tip.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote