Thread: Buh-Biden
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
Bronko

Looks like its cut and run from poor Joe among the liberal ranks. Here is the bloodthirsty nature of this game. Not only are the conservatives trying to whip this up, the Liberals who back other liberal candidates are stepping on his throat. This from an extremely popular super liberal blog.

From the Uber liberal DailyKos:

It's sort of ironic that Biden stepped in it big time the same day he announces his exploratory committee for president. Let's recap:

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

So some are saying that an editing decision could've made the quote sound worse.

OK, I'm not a big Biden fan, so I wouldn't be disappointed to see him drop out. But I have to say this: what if the Observer punctuated casually? That is, what if there is supposed to be a comma before 'who,' making it a non-restrictive relative clause:

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American, who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Thus he would mean Obama is both

a). the first mainstream African-American candidate for president

and

b). articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.

It's within the realm of possibilities. But then is he saying that Carol Moseley Braun wasn't "mainstream" even though she represented the fifth largest state (in population) in the U.S. Senate? Is he saying that Jesse Jackson wasn't "mainstream" even though he won 11 primaries in 1988 and 6.9 million votes? The population of Delaware is 783,600. Heck, he won Michigan with 55% of the vote.

So either 1) he's a patronizing %$%$%$%$%$%$%$, or 2) he's a historical revisionist %$%$%$%$%$%$%$. Either way, he's an %$%$%$%$%$%$%$. And either way, the racial element is inescapable.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan