View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
He said that after bashing the surge forever. Spence, the surge may have exceeded Obama's expectations, but it didn't exceed Bush's or McCain's expectations...the surge did EXACTLY what knowledgable fiolks said it would do.
Good to admit you're wrong. Obama did oppose the surge for sure, but it's not that he wasn't knowledgeable. I think his position that additional troops alone wouldn't be enough to stop the violence and that it would take pressure off of Iraqi's is quite reasonable. There were a variety of proposals on the table for how to improve conditions in Iraq.

As you know well, the success of the Surge wasn't really just about more troops and a shift in tactics. The timetable of sectarian fighting worked to our advantage...

Quote:
I agree with you, Obama's expectations were way off. That's the problem. When you spend your entire career playing the race card and voting "present", you don't develop good instincts for these things, I guess.
Well, this is how our government functions. Legislation is based on a set of assumptions that may not be accurate.

Quote:
You are correct, I can't see that Obama said unemployment would stay below 8%, but hus econoimic advisors sure said it.
If you read what I stated above you'd see that that's not true. I believe if you factor in the real economic drop the projection is still within the margin of error.

And more importantly, why aren't you calling me "Pyle"?

-spence