View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 08:51 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Given that you could care less shows your lack of compassion - glad you admit it. However, an individual not taking in someone who they don't know doesn't show a lack of compassion.
I agree 100% with what you said.

But Paul, why should southern states bear the overwhelming majority of this burden? If the left advocates for open borders and sanctuary cities, shouldn't the left WANT these people in their communities?

I'm not saying you or Wayne should let these people live in your house to practice what you preach. But if your side actually believes what you claim to believe (instead of engaging in empty, unprincipled, woke virtue-signaling), then the communities which advocate for this, would insist on paying taxes to build enclaves where these immigrants can live.

Just last week, the mayor of NYC announced he may have to cut vital social services to tax paying New Yorkers, and divert that cash to take care of the larger-than-typical number of illegals living there.

If NYC can't handle a few more, how are the citizens in AZ and TX supposed to respond to the avalanche they deal with every day?

As you are fond of pointing out, the red southern states are poorer than northern blue states. Given that, how are they supposed to deal with this?

It just really looks like your side likes to look good by advocating for open borders and establishing sanctuary cities, but then they get angry when faced with the real, inevitable consequences of that policy.

I'm anti abortion. If abortion were ever outlawed (and it won't be), I'd be thrilled to pay more in taxes to build whatever facilities are needed to care for the larger number of babies that would then exist. I don't see liberals thrilled at the prospect of stepping up and accepting responsibility for the inevitable results of what they claim to advocate here. They want open borders, but they want someone else to deal with it. Wayne clearly expects someone else to deal with it, as did the swells on Marthas Vineyard.