Thread: NATO
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I've worked at an institute of higher military learning for many years. The topic of NATO burden sharing is not a new one. Just about every president has addressed it.

Read this from 2014 and some of you may be surprised:

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs...-t-do-it-alone

Even militarization of space (Space Force) has been/is a serious topic of future concern.

Like most issues they are complex and we cannot oversimplify them.
Yes - and it has been an issue addressed by Obama, and Bob Gates & Gen Craddock, all under previous admin. 2% by 2025, frankly, is almost a joke when compared to the seriousness of the situation.

Many of these countries that have the means yet are spending the least but are expecting the US to make up the difference. Few of the countries meeting existing obligations are the ones with the deep pockets.

Those countries with Deep Pockets can't sail, can't fly, and can't hold ground. The country most responsible for the political and economic engine of Europe cannot defend itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Because we are because china is because Nato is ??

Nato had already agreed to get to 2% by 2024 "But demands of 2% 'immediately; undermines US commitment to existing obligations."

then he suggested moving the goal post to 4%

this is a Trend for Trump then the Russian Gas thing he is just pissed they wont buy ours

and this comment

"Yesterday I let them know that I was extremely unhappy with what was happening," Trump said, adding that, in response, European countries agreed to up their spending.

"They have substantially upped their commitment and now we're very happy and have a very, very powerful, very, very strong NATO," he said.

Now he try's to make himself look he accomplished something

"I can you tell you that NATO now is a really a fine-tuned machine. People are paying money that they never paid before. They're happy to do it. And the United States is being treated much more fairly.

its so so used car salesman its sad...
Not sure what to make of this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
yes many past POTUS have addressed this issue and we cannot oversimplify them but someone Forgot to tell Trump he huffed and puffed and still walked away with 2% by 2024 from Nato

but for his fan base at home he showed them who's large and in charge and how an alpha male gets things done MAGA .. facts details dont matter its all about the show ... And Trump is Fantastic at it...
I'll give him that
Gee, sure hope 2024 is soon enough.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: