View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #1020
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Poor victim, don’t worry Herschel Walker claims he has a plan to combat inflation, but he’s not giving it away right now because Revered Warnock will steal it.
Ever wonder why Trumplicans don’t explain their plans for battling inflation and reducing prices? Because they don’t exist.

If the GOP regains power, they’ll pass tax cuts for the rich that will not solve inflation. Let me remind you: The GOP doesn't give a damn about inflation. All they care about is padding the pockets of their ultra-rich donors.

Clorox has recently raised prices by 12%. But the company doesn’t have to worry about losing customers because they already control ~60% of the consumer bleach market.

This isn’t the “free” market. Corporations are raising prices because they have the monopoly power to do so.
In some parts of America, Clorox(bleach) is a preferred medicine. Remember.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Who's the victim? Scott destroyed your argument, and I piled on. In what universe would anyone conclude we were the victims in that exchange?

"Poor victim, don’t worry Herschel Walker claims he has a plan to combat inflation, but he’s not giving it away right now because Revered Warnock will steal it. "

Is that sort of like Biden claiming he was going to cure cancer, but only if he won?

"If the GOP regains power, they’ll pass tax cuts for the rich"

Trumps tax cuts did not only benefit the rich. He lowered the marginal rate for every single tax bracket, and he doubled the standard deduction, which increases the number of people who pay nothing.

So I don't know what you're basing it on, when you say the next round of tax cuts will only benefit the wealthy.

"that will not solve inflation."

Is anyone saying tax cuts are the answer to inflation? Having less money in circulation, and addressing supply side issues, will help solve inflation.

"Let me remind you: The GOP doesn't give a damn about inflation. "

If you say so. Funny though, the democrats are the ones who have been dismissing inflation for the past year. Must be nice to be mind reader, I guess that explains why you're always right.

"Clorox has recently raised prices by 12%"

Wages are up, cost of raw materials are up. That means prices will go up.

Your side is whining about price gouging being the main culprit here, and that's easy enough to prove. Look at profit margins (not profit dollars, but margins) for the S&P 500 for the past 20 years.

The 5-year average profit margin for the S&P 500 is 11.3%. For the 3rd quarter 2022, it is 12.0%. Not clear evidence of big time price gouging. profit margins are expected to increase to 12.5% next year. A whopping 1.2% above the 5-year average.

"Corporations are raising prices because they have the monopoly power to do so."

Wages aren't way up? Cost of raw materials aren't way up?

Poor victim.

https://insight.factset.com/sp-500-r...gin%20(11.3%25).