Thread: Garden pix
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Professor, I may have asked you this in the past but I couldn't find it using the search engine...but with the black raspberry plants, will last years branches still produce, and will the new strong ones that have sprouted up...produce this year?

I have a white raspberry plant that outgrew the black raspberry plant, 2fold... this thing had very long branches that I *allowed to touch the ground (*did not maintain it properly ) only to realize that at the spot where the branch touched, a new plant started growing. The interesting thing is that sometime real late fall, I trimmed the plant and cleaned up my mulch, but apparently I didn't do a good enough job because now I have about 12 plants out there. None of the old branches have sprouted, do I remove those completely? How do you maintain your plants?

Thanks in advance ~

The check is in the mail.

This years canes, as they are called, will produce next year's fruit. After the canes from last year produce fruit you should cut them down to make room for this years canes and to keep a clean area so you won't have any fungus and pest problems. Usually when the new canes get about 4 feet high I snip them. This will cause the cane to send out side shoots along the cane. This is where you will get your fruit to form. The longer the side shoots the more flowers, fruit you will get.

Tip rooting is a great way to increase your plants. In spring they will be well rooted so just cut the thing off, dig up, and transplant where you want them. Like I said above if you cut new canes at about 4 feet you will not have the problem of the tips touching the ground , unless you want them too. I already have enough and have given away many over the years so I try to keep after them. You should have a 2 wire trellis set up to keep them off the ground and organized for picking.

Here is the post I think you are referring too

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ghlight=fruits

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote