View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
I must have 50 of the F-90S and 30 f-80s and used them constantly in the old days ( the days you don't like hearing about) The F-90 and F-80 Super Windcheaters only came in the "f" designation which of course, means floating.

Windcheaters were never made in sinking, only the standard slim profile rebels came in sinking and the only baits like that you could actually load was the RedFin by Cotton Cordell.

We added wraps of solder around the Rebels body 1/2 way between the rear hook and the belly treble to "load" them. We learned that trick on Nantucket where the Nantucket crew needed to get distance. It tightened the wiggle up but it still caught fish.

Before the needlefish came to our attention we used to rip the lips out of 7 inch Rebels and fish the floaters like we do Needlefish now in shallow water on the outer beach. That trick absolutely killed them.

The Senior Angler used to make jointeds out of the F-80s and F-90S. He was always ahead of the curve. We used to dunk our older ones in flat white ceiling paint, hooks and all them #^&#^&#^&#^& Pleska got Pradco to send us unpainted ones with only the yellow and black dots on the eyes. Saved scraping them down and sanding them. Bone was a great color.
Four of the six floaters I have are definitely factory loaded. Three were brand new in the box. They rattle when you shake them and say floater on the chin. Maybe they rattle because the weights are loose inside?
The sinkers I have are the slim 7" models.

Last edited by Back Beach; 03-13-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote