View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
The salaries of these professors are ridiculous.
Check out the payroll for Umass...thousands of 6 figure salaries.

If you want to be a good contractor you don't hire a bunch of illegal immigrants, do you?

You hire people whose qualifications meet your needs, whether they are laborers or millwrights and good ones are better compensated than hacks.

Why would people at the top of their field work for less in education, than they can command in the private sector?
If you google most any of the people in the top salaries list, you'll find that they have extensive experience, a great CV and are extensively published.
There are some hacks in Community Colleges and also some people who love to teach, but the compensation doesn't compare.
I know one guy who is a CC professor that loves it, he said it is way easier than working for a major university or College. No publish or perish, no year round labs, no masters or doctorate programs to deal with. Just students when you are in session and short terms. That is not true for top schools.

When I wanted to sign up for a course to learn autocad....my dad said..."why do you need to pay someone to tell you to open a book and study". He was right...I taught myself through study and practice.

You are lucky to be able to self educate, many people can't.

You can become a lawyer in some states by reading the law without ever going to law school, but few people do it.
I don't know many other professions that you can do that in, you have to go to college to get the creds and what college you attend matters. That is why people bribing people to get into schools was in the news recently.

Plumbers and electricians have some protections from the invasion of illegal immigrants...as far as the carpentry trade.....forget it.

You are lucky to be able to self educate, many people can't.

You can become a lawyer in some states by reading the law without ever going to law school, but few people do it.
I don't know many other professions that you can do that in, you have to go to college to get the creds and what college you attend matters. That is why people bribing people to get into schools was in the news recently.

I remember years ago sitting at break, one of the guys said "I learned my trade, blah, blah" Someone said what trade is that?
He said carpentry and the other guy said: "Kid, you're in Vermont, carpentering is something most any farmer can do."
The guy with a trade became a teacher, actually.

There were a lot of farmers turned hack contractors in the 70s. I know a few that were pretty good though. Self taught good mechanics.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin