Thread: Etex problem
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Etex How To, my version

I start by soaking the bottles in a bowl of very hot tap water.

While those are soaking, I get my work area ready, I put down newspaper so i can just throw the whole thing away after.

I do the flip method, so I put a rubber coated paper clip on each end, with a twist on each end so they stay on. I bend the other end Into a "c"

The epoxy should be nice and warm and it will be a little thin. Which helps it mix better and lay flatter

I always mix 2 TBS in a batch and use clear cups, I don't use syringes. I always pour the black cap first to 1 TBS, let it settle to make sure it accurate measurement.

Then I pour the white cap on top of the other epoxy, it will push into the other epoxy and start the mixing process.

I mix for 4 minutes, I stir one minute clockwise, then counterwise. Making sure to scrap the sides and not mix too fast, cause you will get a lot of bubbles which are a pain to get rid of.

This is the "plate trick"

While your mixing the epoxy, use a 6" ceramics plate, add some water and microwave the plate for 1 minute. Let the water sit on the plate til your done mixing.

Dump the water off. Dry the plate and then cover with a double layer of aluminum foil. You should be able to feel the heat thru the foil, it should be warm or slightly hot, not enough to burn your hand.

Pour the epoxy onto the plate, making sure to get all the epoxy out of the cup.

The warmth from the plate will help the epoxy spread out and thin out, it also helps it cure faster.

I get 5 to 6 plugs per batch of epoxy, and I only have to flip the plugs two or three times.

The results are super smooth epoxy with no bubbles and even coverage.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to add some pearl or glitter into the epoxy. I prefer the pearls as they don't require a second coat of epoxy, like some of the glitters.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote