Thread: mono and braid
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
fishaholic18
Finally

For me, both have their pros and cons depending on the situation. I've been using braid for years now after using mono exclusively. It took me a while to get used to it but I won't turn back now. I like braid because I can cast it much further than mono and the sensitivity of braid is a huge plus for me, you are able to feel hits that you may not feel with mono. Also, more line capacity with braid is a plus, not that I'm afraid of getting "spooled" but because I am able to cut back line due to wear and chafing and know that I have plenty left on the spool. I get more life out of braid than mono also, I've gone 2 years before respooling without any problems, and I fish a lot more that the average guy. I have not had a problem with break offs in the rocks with braid, surf or boat fishing, but I do use a mono leader anywhere from 4-8' long. I also like that braid will sink and stay much straighter in the water than mono, I hate the line loop you get with mono especially when you have current, braid cuts thru the water better and pretty much keeps you in contact with your lure/bait at all times. I know peaple do complain about wind knots and cuts on their fingers they get from braid, I don't have that problem very often, I think once you get used to using braid the problems go away, you need to get the feel for it. Now with all that being said, I do use mono on a few of my heavy conv. reels for livelining bunker and trolling where sensitivity is not an issue.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote