View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #102
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You are right, it was definitely plain. I guess lack of representation is still an issue? I missed the part about the forefathers whining over taxation because they didnt like what their representatives were doing.
Zimmy, he asked you a question...do you think the founding fathers were wrong to whine about taxes? I'd be genuinely interested in hearing your response...

I think lack of representation is a huge issue. The founding fathers' plan was for the feds to do things (and only those things) that cannot be done at the local level...like national defense, interstate highways, things like that.

Today, we have the department of education, for example. They get some of my tax dollars, some of which go to other states. Clearly, I have no say in how that money gets spent. If my tax dollars go to San Francisco, there is a great likelihood that San Francisco officials (who do not answer to me) will spend my money on things I object to. If I wanted to pay for 6 year olds to get condoms in a San Francisco elementary school, I'd move to San Francisco and advocate for that.

It's not just the lack of representation, because clearly our own legislators have a say in how $$ gets allocated. But that's part of it...