View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #64
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The national debt, before Trump, was already on the path to trillion dollar deficits forever--and that was with reduced military spending and a sequester on military spending. The military, at a time when it was claimed by the military command, if I remember correctly, that it would be difficult to maintain a war on two fronts, and Iran, radical Islamists, Russia, North Korea, and especially China, were dangerously expanding and high tech modernizing their militaries. It was the military command, not Trump, who decided on how much the military needed.

I don't know if Eisenhower foresaw the 20 trillion dollar deficit that Trump had "inherited." Or if he foresaw an economy crippling pandemic that required several trillion dollars to finance.

And yeah it was the military leadership and military hawks in Congress and the administration that called for the 700 billion dollar budget. McCain asked for Congress and the White House to work "expeditiously" on a budget agreement that secures the increased $700 billion for the military following years of spending cuts. He also said "After nearly a decade of asking our troops to do more with less, we hope this agreement will allow the military to begin to rebuild and ensure that process can continue into next year," and Jim Mattis pressed for a sweeping budget deal that would realize a long-sought Pentagon goal of lifting the caps on defense spending under the sequester process.
The Armed services statement, they had to make one because of the Stable Genius
“I can assure the American people that the senior leaders would only recommend sending our troops to combat when it’s required for national security and a last resort...We take this very, very seriously."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin