View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #18
Team Rock On

Beware of "preffered vendors" the insurance company sends on "their behalf". Companies like Servicemaster do not have your interests first, as the majority of their work is for insurers. I have a little experience in oil soot claims and these are some spots the "preffered vendor" the insurance company sends will miss. Soot will travel up any hole in the cellar (wiring, plumbing, heat ducts, etc,) and contaminate the wall cavities. Soot can get in the electrical boxes and light fixtures. My electrical service also contained soot. It can get into appliances and electronics. Servicemaster will clean the surfaces only on these things. I ended up hiring a scientist to take samples on these items and 9 out of 10 had soot in them. The oil soot is highly corrosive and according to the manufacturers I contacted, these items should be replaced. I wouldn't volunteer that you tried to clean anything yourself, as there are certain methods used to minimize the damage. If the furnace is still malfunctioning, it should be turned off.
Team Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote