Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #132
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
(1) that art of leaning into an adversary, really only works when the adversary isn't a raving lunatic. Unfortunately for your pacifism, there are a few of those out there. Diplomacy will not work with some of them.
Putin isn't a lunatic, he's just unpredictable and has really consolidated power.

Leaning into an adversary isn't a form of pacifism, but it requires a long-term strategy. In one breath you'll talk tough and in the next say you're not advocating for war. Which is it?

Quote:
(2) that art of diplomacy doesn't do much to help the little Syrian kid being gassed to death by a guy who was specifically warned by your hero not to do that.
Sure it can with enough unity. Obama's biggest problem early with Syria wasn't drawing a line, it was not having enough global support.

Quote:
Afghanistan was not a quick-fix, but a response to an attack. You may have heard something about that attack, if not, I can also refer you to some books.

As to Iraq, the use of force was approved by the US Senate. The list of Senators voting for the use of force, included the following right wing neo-cons: Senators Clinton, Biden, Kerry, Edwards, Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer.....all right-wing nutjobs I suppose? If you have no use for those who lean towards militaristic quick-fixes, and you were referring to Iraq, can we all assume you won't be voting for Hilary?
What? This is all news to me...

Quote:
You're not making this very hard anymore.
So at one time it was hard? Please let me know, I'd like to relive some of those sweet sweet memories.

-spence