View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Jimbo

Thanks for the sincere wishes. My wife's sisters and brother really aren't bad people, it's just very upsetting to me that I think their priorities are screwed up, but my wife won't let me say anything about that. Maybe mine are, but I was brought up in a family where having things around that tie you to your ancestors was and still is a big deal. So far we haven't been able to find a family tree so it's been sort of an adventure figuring out who originally or at one time belonged to what and what significance it might have had that my father in law hung on to it. Probably gets a little boring at this point, but I have to finish this. That rifle I found belonged to my wife's great grandfather, who it turns out raised my father in law from a child because his own parents didn't want him. Great Grand Pappy was indeed in the military and was one of the founders (comprised of veterans of foreign service in the Spanish American War and WWI) of the Downingtown, PA VFW. The rifle and his approximate age more likely puts him in the Spanish American War. I'm right now trying to contact the VFW to see if they have any records they can share. It's no longer "just" a gun from the attic and I'm really excited to find out if it went up San Juan Hill with Teddy and the boys. I'll shut up now.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote