Thread: Whos brewing
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Saltheart

I have been brewing since 1983. I have entered and won many contests. In 1986 , I was torn between starting an engineering business or a microbrewery. I did the engineering business. No brag , just fact, I know or have forgotten almost everything there is to know about standard brewing. I do not know about Amazon tribe spit beer or japanese ginseng beer but for normal beers , fruit beers , spice beers , etc , I'm pretty on top of things.

Its virtually impossible for me to write all i know about brewing to help someone. Its far easier just to ask specific questions and I will answere them as best as I can at the level of expertise the questioner seems to be at.

Some basic stuff just to get you started. Do buy Papazian's Book (s).

Never follow the instructions on the malt can.

Start with brown ales , they are far easier to brew than the extremes on either end like light ales or pilsners or porters and stouts.

Until you really know what you are doing , use low alpha acid hops and use less instead of more. Too grainy you may like , too bitter do to using too much or too high and alpha acid hop you will not like.

Start by using malt extract. Don't try to mash your own malt. let the big companies get you started with good malt extract in a can. Don't use the prehopped cans of malt. Use unhopped malts and read what I said in the sentences above about hops.

Cleanliness is the single biggest factor in getting beer to taste the way you intend it to.

I like Danstar brand dry yeast. I especially like Nottingham but Windsor is good too if the store doesn't have Nottingham. Spend the extra buck and use 2 packs to get it going faster. The faster the yeast get cranking , the less chance something bad will happen.If the only yeast the supply store has is Edme, they are not serious brewers , go to a different store .

There is no reason why your first beer should not taste good. Don't think that way , don't use it as an excuse. Read the book , ask questions at the supply store, get everything clean , make a brown ale and be conservative with the hops. You WILL make a good beer the first time.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote