View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
pbadad

Here's my results of heating maple and sealing with spar/turps. Once the lures were heated in microwave i.e. 8 needles for 1 1/2 minutes. Tossed into sealer. First batch in for 30 minutes. Increased approx grams. Second batch 10 minutes, same increase. Tried another thinner needle. After 5 minutes increase 3- 4 grams. Tried longer , no difference. Seemed to top out 5 minutes. The larger end grain surface of first needle produced more weight increase.
Here's the downfall. My fault I think. After a week of drying they were sanded and primed with Rustoleum painters choice. I've been using this primer for a few years since they came out with it.
With in the week I painted them with Createx and eventually e tex the finish. All was well until a month later the entire finish bubbled off the wood. Took my finger nail and peeled the entire paint job off the plug leaving a virtual bare wood plug. I took a look and found > half turning. 2 more weeks and I found a few more. The sealer was still bleeding. It seemed to not show any lack of drying in the first week but penetration must of been the reason it was now bleeding. They ate now stripped and contiue to dry. The smell is less also. Seems to be drying. I had these issue many years back when i use BLO. Had to dry in heated area for a few weeks. So now if I continue to use maple I will heat and dip but for a quick dunk to keep penetration to a minimum and plan a longer drying time. But honestly, I'll go back to birch. Never had any problems doing my cold dunking.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote