View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Bill L

Hey Dennis, I was at the Friday show, the other two days were sold out by the time I got around to getting my tickets. But that was ok, as Old Crow Medicine show was the reason I wanted to go and that was the day they were on. The weather sucked with rain for most of the afternoon, but we still had a great time. The event was nicely set up, with lots of good vendors to keep the wife happy and good venues.

It was tough to pick the acts, but started off with Hey Marseilles, a string/ orchestra band with a great sound. Moved up to the quad to get a brew and caught the rest of the Milk Carton Kids, kind of your traditional folk duo ala Simon and garfunkel, again sounded great and very entertaining. JD McPherson was up next on the Fort stage, not folk but more old time rock and roll or rockabilly, and he really tore it up. Feist was next, but the wife didn't want to get up in the crowd so we took a break out on the beer pier (should have went to phosphorescent in hind sight, my daughter said they were good). Finally OCMS was up, and they put on a great show. I got up pretty close, and they had everybody moving. It was the first time I've seen them, just got into them this past year, and loved it, great stage presence and showmanship. They played a few songs from Pete Seger and Lead Belly as a nice homage. It luckily stopped raining halfway though the set, but my wife was cold and wet and bailed to the car early (I stayed to the end, damned if I was going to miss it)

Show was nicely produced all around, and would have loved to have seen some of the intimate sets in the paste ruins or museum, but not enough time. I will say that it kind of stunk having to go to the designated areas away from the music to get a brew, though, but looking forward to next year already.

Carolina Chocolate Drops at Rythym and Roots is next on the docket!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote