Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Huh? Jan 6 was stupid but it was not the greatest threat to American Democracy since the Civil War. No matter what Rachel Maddow says.
John, I am surprised at your assessment of my post. It did not mention any media member by name, nor did it give such a magnanimous label to the event... The point was that you and I knew there was a confrontation of sorts coming on January 6. We also knew what type of group was coming and who was encouraging them to travel there. And if I knew, why wasn't there a beefed up presence of "security" to support the Capitol Police, who in the end, were the ones who took the hit.

In the Ukraine, the world watched as Putin directed his troops to the border in numbers that would easily support a successful invasion of the country. While I am reading reports of their pullback by the thousands this morning, it does not change the fact that we know who is in charge of those troops and what their intent was meant to be.

Technology has allowed us to see these events in real time. Both appear to be over, but we watched history from our homes as it happened, and were powerless to change or stop it. Yet we could all see the build up in the days and weeks ahead of their happening. Which is the bigger threat? More to the point, which can we have the greater effect on to change the course of history going forward?

Lastly, stupid is too timid, weak, and unassertive a word to describe what we bore witness to on January 6. It certainly doesn't cover the actions I saw by zealots trying to stop the Congress from doing their work in ratifying the Electoral College process. The division in our country is real. But this was a very wrong way to effect change or even gain clear thinking supporters. If anything, it deepened the divide and pushed away many lifelong republican supporting voters.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.