View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've built a Fiberstar Composite 1266 with T-LC 16M collector through a 12m to 10 T-LC transition into T-KT 8 runners. Very light and responsive. Matched to a 1st gen (read low stem) ZB 22. #40 braid casts like a shot, totally silent going through the guides. I did test it against a more standard NGC build using alconite SS K guides but this was lighter and distance similar (albeit at a substantial expense for titanium guides)

I'm liking this blank a lot so far (but have yet to nail anything big on it). It is billed as a 3/4-4oz rating, but feels like a 1-3.5 rod with more guts than most 1-3's. Sweet spot seems around 2.5 oz, but the rod throws 3-3.5 very well.
It is a very comfortable casting rod, as comfortable as a GSB but with more midshaft power. I test cast it against a GSB1201M before building (I had both blanks on hand) and liked it better for a spinner until I got over 3.5 oz. (Obviously it is 6" longer, but outcasts the GSB by quite a bit)

These fiberstar rods have a very nice action. Something in between the stiff J tip action Century's and CTSs, and C curve action of the GSB, Stealth, and VT series rods. They are supposedly patterned on the old AllStar actions, but are lighter rods. It is my first 2 piece surf rod. I don't like how visually thick it makes the mid shaft, but performance wise I don't notice any drop off over a 1 piece rod.

I think the 1266 will prove an excellent beach rod. For the canal or serious rock stuff (where I'd use a GSB1321M) I suspect the Fiberstar 1267 would be a good 2 -piece option.

Last edited by numbskull; 09-19-2013 at 07:35 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote