View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Down here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, we also offer in-state tuition to families who are here illegally. I had an unpleasant chat with my state senator, a liberal Democrat who supported the bill.

This is so stupid, it really is tough to contemplate. The whole point of offering in-state tuition to state residents is due to the fact that state residents pay taxes which fund state schools. Since state residents (who pay taxes) are already giving money to state schools, they should pay less than out-of-state residents who don't pay taxes to support those schools.

Folks here illegally obviously pay no taxes, and therefore deserve no subsidized tuition.

If anything, when the illegals show up to get their discounted tuition, they should be given (1) a one-way bus ticket to wherever they came from, and (2) a copy of the rules explaining how they can apply to come back legally.

I am one of 5 boys. When I was at UCONN, we had 2 others in college at the same time, and the money simply ran out. I went to a community college for a year, then enlisted in the Marines and got some $$ from them. My parents were absolutely devastated that they couldn't afford to keep me in UCONN. If they were relieved of the burden of paying taxes their whole lives (a benefit we offer to illegals), I could have stayed in school without having to literally fight for my life in Iraq to pay for it.

How do you justify giving tuition breaks to families that are here illegally, instead of using that $$ to assist tax-paying citizens who are in need of help?

Furthermore, these kids shouldn't be allowed to go to public college at all, let alone for a discounted rate. Colleges limit the number of kids they accept. So for every illegal who gets in, that's one less spot available for a kid whose parents are here legally and pay taxes. Instead of paying taxes, those legal families would be better off NOT paying taxes and instead paying for private tutors for their children, to make sure they don't get bypassed by illegals who are not burdened by taxes.

To anyone who supports this, I say 2 things. First, since I assume you have been painting inside with the windows shut, you need to open the windows a bit. Those fumes can effect your brain. Second, what would you say to the parents (tax paying citizens) of a kid who got rejected from UMASS to make room for a kid whose family is here illegally, and pays no taxes? What do you tell that kid and his parents?

This is a great example of why I claim that liberalism is a mental disorder. How else can you explain this type of madness?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-17-2010 at 01:39 PM..