View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #56
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They made a ton of money off permits knowing 12 days after the permit sale deadline they would change the rules to the game. They knew well ahead the qouta was over. I think that's what upsets me the most. The Rec qouta for trophy fish was set at 1.7mt. Thats like 10 fish for 30K permits. They need to reset the qoutas. The Comms can't catch their share anyways, so what's tha big deal?
This fishery and its permitting/quota/reporting process has been mismanaged for a long time. Is why my rec permit was not applied for this year. Was waiting to see what class of fish was here before deciding which way to go.
The most recent regulatory change has made the comm sector appear to be a special interest group of the Obama administration. The NMFS took the money and then made the non recs the "elite" darlings.
There are and will continue to be a number of boats fishing without permits this year, until the ground rules are set for Aug-October, which many consider to be the peak season.
I know of many recs who, if they landed a trophy, would have no problem getting it over the rail of a special interest permit holder and getting it to market...... Just saying, it is the reality. As is the inherent mortality the new regs are going to have on the fishery, even with C&R....which is a joke with 50% of the yahoos out there....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote