Thread: Credibility
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

The Carrier jobs. Obama went on TV and specifically said those jobs could not be saved, and he mocked Trump for suggesting he could save them. Trump picked up the phone and got it done, with Pence's help. Would never have happened under Obama, because even Obama admitted that he had no way of saving those jobs.
That is an oft-raised point, but what is the cost for those jobs in tax cuts and changes in revenue? You can't rail on Obama for raising the debt vs the economy without seeing if the same is true for a Trump deal. If you rail against Obama picking winners and losers, how can you justify it for Trump?
Some thoughts on this from national Review, which makes the point that this is a great deal if it is your job saved, but maybe not overall.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...s-indiana-cost

Maybe the tax breaks aren't a big deal though, there was a Forbes article I can't find right now that looked at this as more of a stick (Carrier was afraid of tariffs and such if they moved) rather than the carrot of taxes. That may not work with many companies.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"