Thread: Iraq na Phobia
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #66
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
But having said that; We can assume you support (in conjunction with Military action) the Governments non-military efforts such as the wiretapping of Terrorists and the programs to investigate, trace and freeze Terrorists financial resources?
Certainly if done within the law, and I think there a high probability that Bush has abused his authority in this regard in some cases. Simply because he has good intentions isn't good enough for me. History has proven that proper oversight is prudent to protect the liberties of US citizens.

Quote:
Any objection to the NY Times exposure of those efforts just prior to an FBI raid on a Terrorist funding Islamic charity?
I felt that specific instance was a bad editorial decision.

But that's not to say that the media should abuse censorship of its own content. There's a line between breaking a scoop to sell papers and providing information the public ought to know.

For all the allegations I hear about a "liberal media" subverting the US government there's little discussion about the political idiology of the leakers themselves!

-spence