View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
number2

Choosing a Baitcaster

I am getting ready to buy my first baitcasting reel and I’ve got no idea how to choose one. I have never used one before but I want to learn. I understand that baitcasters allow for a greater amount of control when casting. I don’t know what kinds of features to look for, or the type of materials and construction that make up a quality baitcaster.

I fish mostly freshwater in Florida. Right now I have two rods, one for light tackle and one for all around freshwater and inshore fishing.

For panfish I have a Bass Pro Shop light spinner which was cheap, and while using it for a little while it has turned out to be pretty low quality. It gets sand in it easily and it’s tricky to clean and maintain. I don’t feel like spending much money on light tackle though so it will work for now.

For all around freshwater and inshore fishing I have a Penn 4400ss. It isn’t very fancy but seems to be tough as nails and that’s why I bought it. It is put together simple enough for me to be able to break it down, clean and re-lube it with out much hassle. There is some play with the anti-reverse, but if the spring is adjusted correctly it works alright.

I am going to use the Penn to cast and troll a Hummingbird SmartCast fishfinder when fishing from my kayak. I am looking to get a baitcaster as my primary fishing rod for worms, tubes, and large jigs, as well as crankbaits and topwater stuff occasionally.

What I want in a baitcaster is the features of all the fancy new technology but made tough enough to last along time. I would like one that is made simple enough that I can take it apart and maintain it as needed. I want to stay within the price range of between 100 and 200 dollars. As for the rod I guess I am looking for a 6 & ½ - 7 ft medium.

If anyone has any tips on my perfect baitcaster I am all ears.
number2 is offline   Reply With Quote