View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #64
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

A GSB 1321M/ZB25 and a GSB1201L/VS150 (or StellaSW5000).......both built as light as practical with rapid reduction layouts using titanium guides.....covers my needs very well.

I have added a FSC 1266/ZB22 which I built as a niche rod for throwing lighter stuff where I needed more stopping power than the 1201L provided. Turns out it can do much of what the 1321m does as well and if you are looking for a single "do it all" blank that one is worth considering.

I do believe that no matter what blank you choose it can be improved by building it with lighter and smaller guides.
It sounds extreme, and the jury is still out, but a decent argument can be made that if your second guide (from the butt) is larger than a 16 you are burdening the blank more than necessary. People considering a new build (and willing to pay for performance) should check out the new ST Croix Legend to see what is possible with the newer guide choices. I am not advocating buying that rod, I know nothing about it, only commenting that the guide layout (and even it is a compromise) is where things are probably heading.

Last edited by numbskull; 02-08-2017 at 07:40 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote