View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
What does my comment have to do with Trump and it’s about time religions start making up for all the lives taken throughout the centuries and as you know the Catholic Church’s dark past isn’t all the far in the past. I didn’t say anyones faith su*cks, the point was all religions su*ck for all the lives taken in the name of this god or that god, or the correct god. My older sister is an episcopal minister, so I get that faith is important to some, that wasn’t my point.

Touchy subject, you guys love to debate religion as it applies to this administration and bitch we do not but complain about Trump, I was stepping outside the Trump box to make a general statement. While efforts today are worthy, why do the need to be made in the name of any religion, how about people that can step forward, like so many admirable sports figures or public and private sector CEO’s with great charities.
"it’s about time religions start making up for all the lives taken throughout the centuries "

Using that logic, you are personally responsible for what your ancestors did 4,5 generations ago? Must be nice to be the only person on the planet to come from lineage that's as innocent as a newborn kitten.

Catholics are a huge group of people, and like any large group, there are some really bad apples. You are enthusiastically pointing that out. But there are millions of Catholics who are inspired by their faith, to spend every waking moment helping others, while you and I are free to indulge ourselves with things like golf and fishing and complaining on the internet. As I said, you come across as fairly ignorant and incorrect on the subject, so why not spend a day at a Catholic charity to see firsthand the people you are bashing, see if you feel the same way afterwards.

"the Catholic Church’s dark past isn’t all the far in the past"

If you are talking about the homosexual predation, obviously you're correct. What fascinates me, is that we see the same predation elsewhere - in other religions, public schools, and for sure in the healthcare field, yet 90% of the media coverage focuses on the abuse in Catholicism. It's almost as if there's some kind of agenda, not sure whey else everyone else gets a pass. But I'm not denying that a small number of people in the Catholic church absolutely blew this problem.

"I didn’t say anyones faith su*cks, the point was all religions su*ck'

Not seeing the difference. And again, I don't see any large-scale mass murder committed by Jews of Christians in the last few centuries. What I see, is that Christianity was irrefutably the driving force to end slavery, and it was absolutely the driving force to end segregation. Is it too much to ask that if you highlight the flaws, maybe you could dedicate a syllable or two to the good done? And the benefits provided?

"I was stepping outside the Trump box to make a general statement'

And in my opinion, it was a bigoted, thoughtless statement.

Your tone has changed. It started a week ago with a f-bomb laced tirade aimed at me. You sound warped and frustrated.

"While efforts today are worthy"

I agree...

"why do they need to be made in the name of any religion"

That question is too big for me. Obviously they don't need to be rooted in religion, there are plenty of agnostics who are wonderful people. But the fact is, faith inspires many people to do great things.

Look at it this way...if person A really believes that there is no God, no afterlife...and person B believes that there is a God and a Heaven and that life is essentially an audition to get into heaven...is it surprising that this faith would motivate people to do more good, than they might otherwise do?

The fight to end slavery and segregation didn't necessarily have to originate with Judeo-Christian principles. But nevertheless, that's where it originated.

It's not touchy to me, faith isn't for everyone and I don't pretend that what works for me is what's best for anyone else. But it's a good idea to get the truth out there, not just one-sided bashing.