View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
JohnnyD

1. I'm with The Dad Fisherman. 50# braid with 40# leader. When I get snagged and have to break off, I find a place with a solid footing and no jagged rocks behind me, wrap my hand with a good amount of cloth, grab the mainline with a couple wraps of the braid(enough so it doesn't slip), open the bail, plant my feet and slowly pull. With 40# test, you have to give a good amount of pressure. I learned the hard way what happens when you don't have a firm footing and go from pulling 40# of pressure and then the line going slack in an instant. You can easily break your neck out there.

2 & 3. I have found that felt soles are a Godsend when moving on the rocks. I find it exponentially easier to move on the rocks with felt soles. I almost exclusively fish the canal with waders. With my felt soled waders, I rarely have trouble getting to the water to pick up a hooked fish. Also helps you get access to the water for reviving a fish. If I don't feel I can safely access the water with a fish on, I move to a different spot.

Now, I'm not experienced canal fisherman - this is my first year fishing there. The above is just what I've found works for me. These boards hold hundreds of years of combined experience when it comes to the canal. Do some searches to help you slightly demystify the place. Mike P's posts on the canal have greatly helped me improve my technique.

I've found the Canal to be like an abusive girlfriend. Doesn't matter how many times I leave broken and bruised or how much money it steals from me, the sex is great and I still go running back for more.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote