View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

What weight rod and what size reel/braid?

The easiest/cheapest is exactly what you've specified, KLH25-12-8m-8's. I've done this on rods 8.5-11 feet and been happy. You need to be careful in transport, however. I've also done 20H-10H-8m- 8KT runners and it works well.

The RV guides offer a double foot option but at an awful price ($180-320 for a set without tip)
RV25-RV16-KWm10-whatever runners is reportedly very good. I'm about to build this layout on a 10' rod (whose recipient is afraid of singles).

For years I've used Titanium LC20 (or 16M) followed by LC 12m- Lc10-kw/kt runners with good success. The collector does go pretty far out the rod but the rods cast well and are very light.

There is a 4th option that I have not tried. It uses a KW 30 (H?) collector followed by single foot transition chain of KL20-KL12- runners. For big reels and heavy braid it might be worth testing casting this option.....but again I've not tried it.

The problem with building one of these layouts, particularly if you use titanium, is that you will soon find you need to rewrap all your other rods as you won't be able to stand to look at them, never mind fish them.

Last edited by numbskull; 02-23-2017 at 11:05 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote