View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
ed morini

guides

I have been thinking about this alot lately and have come to the conclusion that certainly' the number of guides is imortant in the load distribution but at some point no number of guides will prevent blank failure when the blank becomes over stressed.

The Lami GSB series is known for its parobolic loading, particularly the 120 1l and 1m. These blanks will take a beating and in their early stages of production replicated the fiberglass blanks they replaced. They could be built as the glass blanks were, without to much trouble with breaking. Us old guys built them the same way and they performed as expected. After 2005, I think the resins were "improved" and the action changed calling for more guides to help the tip stress. I began noticing more broken tips, which results from high sticking, which was normal for glass rods. I never promoted high sticking because I felt the leverage advantage went to the fish in that case.
Today, I think you do what your experience has led you to believe is the best placement and number. There are no concrete answers because the are so many different blank builds, materials and actions. With the extemely fast tips of today, I think that once the tip reaches the limit of its flex, that's it, beyond yeilds failure. Do the number of guides prevent the break, I don't think so, but they help delay. And for me we are right back where we started. That make this interesting.
ed morini is online now   Reply With Quote