Thread: Abuse of power
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #64
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Removing the fear of deportation makes it psychologically easier to stay. And though the action may only supposedly apply to the millions already here, the notion that we keep reneging on strict immigration enforcement is certainly not a deterrent to more coming.

There is not only, among them, the perception that the next immigration "crisis" will result in the same forgiveness, but there is now a large and influential latino immigration lobby which will influence further immigration.
I think the idea our "policy" creates a large draw is overstated. The US economy has improved but the job market is flat. The birth rate in Mexico is declining while their economy is improving. It's just not as an attractive proposition as it once was.

The surge in unaccompanied minors from Central America has shown to be due to regional violence, not a pull towards the US.

Quote:
Probably, the only thing, other than strict enforcement and border security, that can stop the flow, is lack of opportunity to find gainful employment. Though, from my personal observation in Southwest Detroit, which is heavily latino, many of them "undocumented," the immigrants don't depend just on jobs they can find, but on jobs they create. They can easily outbid indiginous Americans on all manner of construction, landscaping, repair work, and in creating restaurants and various service and retail outlets in the community. They do it cheaper, and live much more simply than the rest of us. My neighborhood, as well as most of Southwest Detroit, has been transformed into a Latino stronghold. They are far more prolific than others in making babies, and, demographically, their influence will grow.
I'm not sure if they're more prolific, it's likely about demographics. The white population is aging and the birth rate is slowing. The rise of minority growth is a mega trend, policy isn't going to stop it.

Quote:
It seems logical that if the reason for the ACA is supposedly to reduce the use of the ER, then millions of illegals who don't have insurance, and don't earn enough, will have to be subsidized.
I'd say "a reason" versus "the reason" and according to that article the health industry reports that the ACA is indeed reducing demand on the ER. This doesn't mean you have to subsidize illegals, they'd just be likely behave in a consistent manner.

This may be a bigger issue if the illegal population was growing dramatically, but I believe the net number of illegals is stable and predicted to remain flat.

Quote:
BTW, executive action has been overused by Presidents, and it has been greatly misused. Executive action, constitutionally, would be appropriate only if it were action within the bounds of the President's enumerated powers. When it is used to create law, especially outside the scope of constitutional executive limitations, such as immigration law, rather than enforcing congressional law, it is unconstitutional. But that has just become a portion of the great flood of constitutional destruction which is washing away our legal foundation.
I think we'd all like to see bi-partisan reform but until the tea partay phenomenon fades I doubt there's much chance...