View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Even the most casual visitor to China cannot help but see a nation leaping into the future"

I asked how America is slip[ping due to Trump. Saying "China is investing in infastrusture", doesn't come close to responding to what I asked. Was China not advancing during the Obama years? How is it Trump's fault that China is advancing? Should Trump nuke China? You libs crack me up. He takes a hard economic stance with China, and you all attack him for his pointless trade war. Yet here, you blame him for China advancing.
I blame him for us losing more ground.

We need to invest in infrastructure here, I'll give you that. But that was a laughable answer to the question I asked.

"China protects and nurtures its home-grown companies and puts up roadblocks to foreign competitors" Again, when Republicans in America do the same thing, liberals reflexively shriek that conservatives are too pro business.
Show an example of "shrieking" and don't start with the disproved trickle down theory that Kudlow, his stockbroker recommends.

"We need to make the investment in infrastructure"

I agree with you. Our lack of doing so (did you complain when Obama didn't get an infastricture spending bill) doesn't weaken our standing on the planet.
The only way Trump can get legislation passed is by putting together a deal and political deals are never one-sided. Trump is not a dealmaker, despite his boasts.

"Realign our healthcare spending."

Agreed again, but also again, this isn't a Trump creation. You started this thread, and your article said Trump diminished America. So you were OK with the alignment of healthcare spending until Trump took over? What has he done, exactly, to change that?
Ending mandatory insurance will not make healthcare cheaper, hence it will not make it more accessible. Neither will ending the pre-existing condition coverage.

"Make our educational system work more efficiently"

Oh this is wonderful. It's Trump's fault that our educational system is dominated by unions, and therefore hideously inefficient?

Issues with education are all due to unions, really? You forgot that it is all the fault of irresponsible parents and failure to go to church. Is it that teachers have a calling and therefor should work for less, or those who can't do, teach.

"Listen to the DOD about the threat from climate change."

Climate change threatens a majority of mission-critical military bases, Pentagon report says
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...hange-threats/

Unbelievable. You have nothing to say about China, in regard to climate change.
In 2017, investments in renewable energy amounted to US$279.8 billion worldwide, with China accounting for US$126.6 billion or 45% of the global investments. That is equal to the US, Europe and India combined. In terms of % of GDP it is close to one percent of China's while the US commits 2 tenths of a percent. That's 5 times as much.

OK. You posted an article saying Trump diminished America's standing. I asked for examples, and you came up with these:

China is ascending
our infrastructure is dilapidated
we spend too much on healthcare
education is inefficient
climate change

I agree with you that these items are challenges we face. Trump created NONE of them, and the only one you can possibly argue that he has had any negative impact on, is climate change.

You crack me up. Trump created teachers unions!!!
Trump started a trade war, without allies against China.
He has US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and his stated aim of turning China into a market-based economy. Donald Trump, a populist obsessed with forcing China to buy more goods — a market-distorting demand. His stated objective and his representative don't agree and he thinks he is winning. Or quite possibly, he has no clue what he is doing.
Trump has done nothing about infrastructure, nobody knows more about infrastructure than him and has accomplished less.
Worse than nothing to healthcare.
He did DeVos to education.
He eliminated anything he possibly could to do with climate, even the car companies thought that was foolish.

And while you were cracking up (much like Trump) you missed a lot.
So I'll repeat it and add some, keep in mind that even among nations, Trust comes in on foot and leaves on horseback.

No leaders trust Trump, he doesn't have core values other than what he can get.

China is reaching out to the world and supporting development, in Central and South America, Australia, Africa and the Bahamas. They will gain alliances and commerce by doing so and are.
National ascendancy is a very long term endeavor, that the US has been pursuing for many decades. It has enabled us to have the largest economy and become world leaders in many fields and to help others, while helping ourselves. Trump's America First nationalism is the start of America Alone in a destabilized world.
James Mattis explains the importance of NATO and the cultivation of allies quite well in various media.
George HW Bush and his son both used the support of allies in Iraq and Afghanistan and they came at a moment's notice.
I fear that is lost to us now. Look at the Iran arms agreement for one example.

Along with that we have reduced our ability to call one of our allies who seems to have a problem with another, and to work it out without conflict, much like a big brother.
More than 60% of career diplomats have left the State Department.
These are senior people who have developed relationships with their counterparts in other countries. They are the gears that make diplomacy work and that trust doesn't come easy. It will take many years to get that back, but Trumps all set he has his kids to deal with it.

PS your spelling and grammar sucks, is your education why you think teachers should be paid less.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin