View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I'm not completely unhappy with Trump, it was time we tightened our borders and tightened up vetting practices. I'm not unhappy with some of his appointments and while I think he has raised the level of hate and division in this country, I think it is one of the primary reasons you will see a major interest in the electoral process. My three boys are perfect examples, as there was little to no discussion of politics when they were young, but now it's hard not to get into a discussion when they visit. It is for that reason I think women and the young are going to be Trump's and the GOP's downfall moving forward in the mid terms and certainly in the next presidential election.
The level of division and hate has been rising for a long time. I believe the divisive and hate filled reactions for or against Trump are symptoms and effects which are fueled by deliberate disinformation from all sides (touching back a bit on the subject of this thread). But the cause of these symptoms and effects goes well beyond Trumpism. Rather the cause is the growing fundamental divide in our political philosophy. That's why I highlighted a section of your post with bold letters.

I am hoping that the young (as well as the rest of us) will be more fundamentally concerned about and examine our political process, historically and philosophically as applied to the now, rather than be stuck only on surface levels of debatable statistics and outrage over politically manufactured charges of socially offensive behavior.

Politics being what it is, the surface bickering and name calling won't go away. But if our fundamental classically liberal political structure based on individual freedom disappears and is replaced by a quagmire of progressively relativistic ideologies, we will be led by the nose from unstable social policies to failed economic policies through a mine field of feckless opinions, guided by a fascistic bureaucracy from which the most activist among us may finally invite a true populist tyrant to whom we will give total power in order to save us from self destruction. Or from being conquered by a more principled foreign invader or foreign ideology.

And disinformation is a powerful tool which can help bring about that social and political suicide. So, when talking politics, we must focus on first principles above transitory symptoms and effects caused by hearsay and disinformation. Or we will go the way all of all societies which fail to do so.