Thread: Albie reels
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

You didn't mention price point.
I would focus more on quality drag over casting distance on an albie set up for the most part.
Size would be 4000-5000 (40-50) depending on manufacturer and how the real balances on the rod. Many guys also focus on how much line the reel handles.
Reel recommendations shimano Stella or stratic fk, quantum smoke or boca, the new slammer 3 or Daiwa bg.
I fish from shore and use several set ups.
I use 7' loomis gl2 lr 844 with the previous model shimano spheres 4000 which rips a hogy 5/8 or 7/8 epoxy, pj pogee or size 2 dd out there, this seems to get me enough distance most of the time. A 7' loomis gl2 lr 842 also with a previous gen shimano spheros 3000 for rebel jumpin minnows or soft plastics, a quantum smoke pt inshore 7' mh with a boca 40 for soft plastics (albie sanx, zoom super flukes) and a 8' m lami with the new Daiwa bg 4000 for a wooden egg float to deliver the various teaser/flies I tie.
I have no complaints about any of these because they suit the application they are used for and the drag on each has worked flawlessly so far.
Distance isn't always the answer if they have no interest in what you are presenting.
Probably more info than what you were looking for but again look for a reel with the best quality drag in your price point.
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote